Without any notice, your car is T-boned at an intersection. Another driver, traveling eastbound, crashed his vehicle into your car after having run through a red light. The jolt stuns you, and you momentarily think that is something from your imagination. However, the blood on your face, your aching neck and unopenable car door bring you back to reality.
You have been in a car accident. Your car is inoperable, you are hurt and now you must act as calmly and quickly as you can in taking the steps toward resolving this situation. What do you after a car accident? Plenty of things.
Seek medical attention, call authorities
Panic can set in after a car accident, but you need to stay calm and in control. Here are some steps you need to complete after a motor vehicle accident:
- If you or anyone else sustained injuries, contact an ambulance and seek medical treatment.
- Call authorities.
- If your car is drivable, move it out of the path of any oncoming vehicles.
- Exchange all information with the other driver. This would include proof of insurance, phone numbers and year, make and model of the other vehicle.
- If you have a smartphone with a camera, take pictures of the accident scene, damage to all vehicles involved and the accident scene, license plate of the other vehicle and any injuries.
- Get statements, names and contact information of witnesses. Document everything you can about the accident
- Contact your insurance company and file a report as soon as possible.
- Do not talk with the other driver’s insurance company. After all, its agent or adjuster will attempt to obtain statements that do not work in your favor.
- Keep all records of your medical visits and billing statements. This important information may help your case if you retain a personal injury attorney.
You did not ask to be in this situation. However, now, you must deal with it. Once you have completed the initial steps, remember, that you will not be alone. An experienced personal injury attorney has the knowledge to help.