Medical Malpractice Statistics And Causes Are Frightening
At Maples, Nix & Diesselhorst, our attorneys focus their practice on representing the victims of medical malpractice and errors that harm patients. Our legal team, which includes a surgeon/attorney and a registered nurse, has specialized knowledge and experience with medical negligence cases and have attained unparalleled success in this complex area of law. If you have been harmed by a medical professional’s errors, and would like to speak to someone from our Oklahoma firm (serving Oklahoma City, Tulsa and all surrounding areas) about filing a medical malpractice claim, email our lawyers by filling out the form on this website.
Medical Malpractice Statistics
Unfortunately, medical errors remain a leading cause of death and severe injury in this country. In fact, the statistics are staggering. According to a recent study published in The Journal of the American Medical Association, medical errors may be the third leading cause of death in the United States. This report shows an alarming number of deaths per year from medical mistakes:
- 2,000 deaths from unnecessary surgery
- 7,000 deaths from medication errors in hospitals
- 20,000 deaths from other errors in hospitals
- 80,000 deaths from infections in hospitals
- 100,000 deaths from adverse effects of medications
- 225,000 deaths as a result of medical malpractice or medical errors
A recent study by Healthgrades shows that at least 75 percent of deaths from medical malpractice (over 195,000) were the result of preventable medical neglect.
Medical malpractice also commonly results in severe and permanent personal injury or disability for those affected. According to recent Bureau of Justice Statistics, 90 percent of all medical lawsuits are brought by patients who have suffered permanent injury or on behalf of someone who has died as a result of medical malpractice.
If a loved one has died from medical errors or malpractice, we encourage you to contact our firm, serving Oklahoma City, Tulsa and all other areas around the state, to discuss filing a claim.
Types And Causes Of Medical Malpractice
Medical malpractice can occur in countless numbers of ways; however, the majority of cases fall into one of the following categories:
- Surgical errors
- Failure to diagnose
- Delayed diagnosis or treatment
- Nursing mistakes
- Medication errors
- Anesthesia errors
- Infections or retained sponges or surgical objects
Specifically, medical malpractice cases most frequently arise from four clinical categories, which account for 80 percent of all cases filed:
- Birth injuries — involving obstetrics and gynecology such as hypoxic brain injury, cerebral palsy, Erb’s palsy, shoulder dystocia and other pregnancy injuries
- Surgical errors — such as botched gallbladder and abdominal surgery, amputation errors, perforated internal organs or other iatrogenic (physician-caused) errors during surgery
- Diagnosis errors — including failure to diagnose and/or delay in diagnosis cases such as failure to diagnose unstable angina (heart attack), brain bleed, spinal abscess or sepsis, or delay in diagnosis and treatment cases such as stroke, infection, aneurysm or other serious medical condition
- Medical errors — including nursing errors from overmedication, adverse drug reactions, overdose, and/or wrong medication injury or death cases
Contact Our Oklahoma Firm For Your Free Consultation
If you or a loved one has been the victim of medical malpractice, it is imperative that you consult with and obtain competent legal representation as soon as possible. The medical malpractice attorneys of Maples, Nix & Diesselhorst, serving Oklahoma City and Tulsa, specialize in the investigation and prosecution of complex medical cases. We are well-known as one of the top legal teams in Oklahoma. You may reach us at 800-539-0652 or via email by completing our contact form.