PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of Covid-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in-person, via telephone, or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.


Free Case Evaluation800-539-0652

Standing With You

Nursing Home Abandonment And Inaction Is Elder Abuse

Elder abandonment, especially in nursing homes, is a profound blight on our community, our state and our country. Those who deliberately abuse seniors, by way of gross inaction, need to be dealt with swiftly and the victims protected indefinitely.

The attorneys at Maples, Nix & Diesselhorst in Oklahoma City want you to know that you are not alone, and we can help deliver the kind of justice you seek. If you, or a family member, have been victimized by a neglectful care facility or incompetent nursing home, you have the right to representation as well as the option to pursue legal action against your abusers.

Unfortunately, the longer such institutions and businesses are allowed to operate with impunity, the more individuals will suffer in silence. By calling now, you will not only help stop the cycle of abuse against yourself or your loved one, but may also help preserve the well-being and lives of many others in similar situations. It is never too late — call Maples, Nix & Diesselhorst day or night at 800-539-0652. We provide a free consultation and case evaluation to help you determine your best course of action and what legal options you have available.

What Is Abandonment In Nursing Homes?

Citizens in advanced age and declining health often require a great deal of time, attention and care from those around them. Missing a scheduled medication or remaining in one position too long can have serious consequences in both their short- and long-term health. Sadly though, a 2014 study by the National Center on Elder Abuse, Bureau of Justice Statistics reveals that of the approximately 2,150,000 new cases of elder abuse each year, a staggering 60 percent of those involve some form of severe neglect.

This inaction primarily involves the outright disregard of a senior’s needs and his or her daily abandonment while in a supposedly professional nursing facility. Some of the more common type of abuse we have encountered include:

  • Failure to turn bedridden patients over, resulting in bedsores and other skin complications
  • Failure to respond to a patient’s calls for assistance or help
  • Failure to properly distribute essential medication on time
  • Failure to feed, bathe or hydrate patients in a timely fashion
  • Failure to change bedding or maintain sanitary conditions in a patient’s room
  • A general trend of neglect or ignorance that puts the patient’s health and well-being at risk on a consistent basis

What Should I Do If I Suspect Nursing Home Abandonment?

Above all, it is vital to remain calm and collect evidence, while documenting everything. The moments following such a realization can end in rash, unplanned action that may result in making things worse for your loved one — or yourself. The way to successfully bring nursing home staff and management to justice is by building a case. The only exception to this would be if you or a loved one is in imminent danger, in which case, you must contact the local police department immediately.

  1. Speak with the resident director — There is a good chance that management has little to no idea what is actually happening in its wards, let alone to specific patients. Nursing homes in Oklahoma and America in general can be woefully understaffed and undertrained. While speaking with the head of the facility may not yield any direct results, due to their own complicit behavior or incompetence, it will provide evidence that you did in fact go through the proper channels.
  2. Document everything — Take photos of anything you believe to be out of the ordinary. This includes suspicious injuries, missing personal items, distressing behavior in your loved one, and unsanitary or filthy living conditions. Request daily reports from the floor nurses and any documentation that concerns activity in the room of your loved one.
  3. Contact Adult Protective Services — Each state and its respective counties have an APS department that will respond to reports of abuse within a nursing care facility in that particular area. While this could take a considerable amount of time, it is worth contacting its office to file an official report.

Speak With An Attorney

Contacting a dedicated personal injury attorney with a history of going against abusive nursing homes and their staff is highly recommended. The litigators at Maples, Nix & Diesselhorst have years of trial experience and are willing to take on even the biggest of care facilities. We won’t rest until you and your loved one are satisfied with the results and safe from harm. For additional information, call our attorneys today at 800-539-0652. You may also fill out our contact form online to request a consultation about your care facility case.