PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of Covid-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in-person, via telephone, or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.


Free Case Evaluation800-539-0652

Standing With You

What You Need To Know To Report Abuse

Surprisingly, there is no uniform national standard for reporting or analyzing nursing home abuse reports, according to the National Center on Elder Abuse. Each state has its own system for accepting, investigating and dealing with nursing home abuse and neglect.

If an elderly person’s life or health is in immediate danger, call 911 for emergency medical services. To report all other situations of nursing home abuse in Oklahoma, begin by contacting the State Long-Term Care Ombudsman. The purpose of the State LTC Ombudsman’s office is to help resolve nursing home abuse and neglect situations on behalf of individuals, as well as to track information and make recommendations for overall improvement of nursing home care.

You can also contact the county health department for the county in which the nursing home is located. There are 68 separate county health departments and two combined city-county health departments in Oklahoma, serving a total of 77 counties and two cities. To find contact information for county health departments, visit the Oklahoma Department of Health’s website.

Information To Report

When you report a suspected instance of nursing home abuse or neglect, you’ll need to provide certain information. This includes the following:

  • The name and address of the nursing home.
  • The date, time, and details of the suspected abuse or neglect incident, if available. If you suspect abuse or neglect due to an injury or medical condition, but don’t know when it happened or how, describe the harm caused as best you can.
  • Contact information for a person who can describe the situation that raised the suspicion of abuse or neglect.
  • Contact information for the person who has power of attorney or is legally responsible for the elderly person, if that person does not have the capacity to carry out his or her own legal affairs. This may be the same person as the one above.

Other Agencies

Some types of elder abuse or neglect should be reported to additional agencies, depending on the circumstances. Additional agencies you may consider contacting include the below:

  • Protective Health Services, for licensing and certification concerns.
  • Medicaid Fraud Control Units, for concerns about Medicaid fraud claims. For Medicare fraud, contact the federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services at 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227).
  • Adult Protective Services/Aging Services.

Standing Up For What’s Right

Discovering that a loved one has been suffering from nursing home abuse or neglect can be emotionally shocking, and figuring out the best way to handle it can feel overwhelming. At Maples, Nix & Diesselhorst, we’re dedicated to helping those injured by elder abuse and neglect and their families. Our compassionate and hardworking Oklahoma nursing home abuse and neglect attorneys can help you make all the needed reports, in addition to seeking the compensation your loved one deserves and holding any negligent parties accountable. For a free consultation, call our Oklahoma City lawyers toll free today at 800-539-0652.