Nursing Homes Present Many Slip And Fall Hazards
Nursing homes are meant to be safe places for the elderly to receive needed care and to be free from harm that may be present in their own homes that they could not prevent or avoid on their own. One of these main hazards is a slip-and-fall accident, which can cause serious and even deadly injuries for an elderly person due to their susceptibility to injury and inability to recover fully from serious injuries. However, slip-and-fall hazards are still present in nursing homes throughout Oklahoma, often due to negligence, oversight, lack of staff training, understaffing or overall poor conditions of the home. The slip-and-fall accident lawyers of Maples, Nix & Diesselhorst in Oklahoma City can help if you or a loved one has been injured in a nursing home slip-and-fall accident. Injured victims deserve compensation for their losses and aid in their recovery from the devastating injuries they have suffered during a fall.
Oklahoma Nursing Home Hazards
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention ( CDC), one out of every three adults age 65 or older suffers a fall accident each year. Falls are the leading cause of injury death for the elderly as well as the leading cause of nonfatal injuries and trauma-related hospital visits. These accidents can occur in many places, but their occurrence in a nursing home is inexcusable, as residents are there to be specifically protected from such dangers. Common slip-and-fall or trip-and-fall hazards found in nursing homes include:
- Wet floors, caused by spills, cleaning or other accidents;
- Poor lighting, keeping residents from seeing hazards;
- Medication side effects, which unbalance patients;
- Uneven or broken floors;
- Throw rugs or mats that can trip up a walker;
- Scattered materials left on the floor;
- Physical restraints that trip up elders or keep them from avoiding a fall; and
- Defective or broken walkers, canes, etc.
The Impact Of An Elderly Slip-And-Fall Accident
Being involved in a slip-and-fall accident can cause injuries to victims of any age, but the more fragile nature of the elderly, especially as they age further and if they are dealing with some form of disability, makes serious injuries much more common. The sudden occurrence of a slip and fall can cause an elderly person to suffer:
- Lacerations from the impact or any objects they fall on;
- Hip fractures, which are very common due to the way a victim lands;
- Head trauma due to striking one’s head against the ground;
- Other common bone fractures affect the spine, forearm, ankle, leg, hand and upper arm;
- Muscles and joint injuries, affecting overall mobility and physical capabilities; and
- A fear of falling, causing them to limit physical activities, which in turn decreases physical fitness and increases the chances of another, more serious, fall.
When a nursing home resident suffers a fall, he or she will often need immediate medical treatment for the injuries as well as long-term rehabilitation to recover as much as possible.
Finding An Experienced Oklahoma Slip-And-Fall Lawyer
To be successful in finding compensation for a nursing home resident’s injuries and losses caused by a slip-and-fall accident, one must prove negligence on the part of the property owner and show the losses that have been sustained as a result. However, this process is difficult without the aid of an experienced attorney who will prove the owner’s fault and find fair and full compensation. At Maples, Nix & Diesselhorst, our Oklahoma nursing home slip-and-fall attorneys have years of experience that we can apply to your case as they seek compensation for the losses of a nursing home resident. For more information, call our dedicated legal team at 800-539-0652.